The ultimate goal of our tourism economic programme will be to capitalize on the centrality of the state to develop ‘BRAND EDO’, which is built around entertainment, historical and cultural heritage. The development of Edo State Tourism industry will be in partnership with experienced local and international stakeholders in the following areas:
- Development of Edo Tourism Master-Plan
- Organization of an annual Benin Carnival
- Creation of Tourism Development Zones
- Convocation of Edo State Tourism Summit
- Creation of Tourism Clusters
- Identification of Tourist Destinations across the state
- Reclamation and Development of Tourism Assets
- Classification of Tourist services
- Local, Regional and International Marketing Programmes
- Construction of a world-class Shopping Mall in partnership with private investors
- Convocation of Annual Bronze Festival in Benin City.
- Creation of holiday resorts located in sprawling environments of several hectares. This will attract big players like Hilton, Marriott and Disney etc. In the process we shall attract huge investments opportunities through venture capital to the state. This will enhance the brand identity of Edo State as a globally acclaimed tourist-destination.
- We shall create the Edo State Tourism Bureau, which will operate independent of government bureaucracy to allow for operational efficiency, professionalism and global standards
- We would develop a state-of-the-art film village to attract film producers, actresses, actors and other stakeholders in the entertainment industry to make films that would engender positive attitudinal changes among the youths, and project Edo culture, specially and Nigerian culture in general in the global entertainment space
- We shall also encourage through PPP the construction of Shopping malls in major centres across the state.
Edos in Diaspora are already a major contributor to GDP growth and known patrons of nascent tourism but the absence of an engagement platform has prevented the government and people of Edo state from reaping and developing on this huge resource. Evidence abound that direct investments by Diaspora entrepreneurs in their countries of origin strengthens prospects for economic growth by fostering the formation and growth of the businesses, supporting innovation, developing new sectors of the economy and major direct investors in critical and emerging industries. We will make sure that there is adequate investment in, and energy devoted to, constructive partnership with the Edo in Diaspora.
- We will constructively engage with our citizens in Diaspora to harness the potential in financial and intellectual investment targets. In particular, we will actively welcome their partnership in our public private sector engagement and collaboratively promote their offer to expand private philanthropy.
- We will set an investment target of 5000 hours per year in the area of medical missions, sport-diplomacy, and other areas of volunteer work. We will encourage more direct intervention projects from Diaspora by way of direct investment in local businesses or green spring projects by facilitating channels for Diaspora investments into transparent businesses.
- We will organize a Diaspora Investment Forum and explore the opportunity of a Diaspora Bond. Ongoing engagement and collaboration with Diaspora shall be by way of a structured approach where government will take the proactive steps and full responsibility for developing a model for Brain Drain to be turned into measurable transfer of talents, skills, professionalism and financial targets.